Friday, May 10, 2013

Squat Toilet in China



Every time I get to see a similar sign as above pic when I go to the toilet at work. I always wonder if this friendly reminder is cater for some of staff from China...not quite sure about japan but Squat toilet is still widely used in china.. .During the 7 month in china, i can barely remember how many times i have seen a non squat toilet when I am out in China. I guess I have used/ seen too many squat toilet to the point when I arrived the HK airport, I was shocked to see a non squat toilet. --' i was surprised to see the toilet was popping up/ "on the floor' instead of stick in the floor. -_____________-'

reading the below article definitely reminds some of the experience in china ..--'

http://gochina.about.com/od/tripplanning/ht/How2_Squat.htm
(it is a article trying to teach people how to use the squat toilet)




while i was reading the article, few things got my attention:

1."Pack Tissues. Before you even leave the hotel, make sure you've got portable toilet paper with you. Lots of public restrooms don't provide it. Wet wipes and hand sanitizer are also good to have along as if there's a sink, there may not be any soap, and probably no towels either."

yea really, and i always wonder why there are not many toilets provides tissue in china!? Also it is important to bring the wet wipes and hand sanitizer when using toilet because there were times i just feel so uncomfortable when going inside the toilet. and i hate when there is no soap or paper towers provide after using the toilet. =S

2.Pants Check. I don't want to scare you but some washrooms are rather wet - either from splash effect or the toilet maid (usually there is someone assigned to sit in the washroom and clean it) running amok with her mop. Either way, it's not moisture you want on your new linen trousers. If it's wet, roll them up, especially if you're in line for a squat toilet. If you see other Chinese ladies rolling, then be sure to. They know something you don't."

Definitely agree with the last sentence!

3. "Paper Discard - Not in the Pot! Chinese plumbing in public restrooms generally doesn't handle paper. If you can remember, please put anything other than #1 or #2 in the basket. Try as hard as you can NOT to look at the basket, it's usually open and teeming with things on which you'd rather not lay eyes."

it was a nightmare for me for the first few days i lived in the dorm in the Beijing Language and Cultural University. I did not know that you should not throw the toilet paper inside the toilet until I blocked my own toilet in the first few days. All i did was only pee pee and throw the toilet paper in the toilet and IT BLOCKED!

I went out my room feeling really embarrass and ask for the staff on duty for help. First thing they asked me was "did you throw ANYTHING into the toilet?" 
I said "Yea, toilet paper"
then she said to me "You should throw it into the toilet bin instead.  
I was pretty shocked and wondered how is it possible to block the toilet with a piece of toilet paper!? especially the toilet that I had in my room was a western style toilet. believe me or not, i even went on Google to search if its possible for a piece of toilet paper to block the toilet.
i guess i really didnt learn my lesson until the 2nd time i blocked the toilet AGAIN in the next day. it really took me a long while to get use to throwing the toilet paper in the bin instead of the potty. in the end, i bought a plumber to plumb the toilet myself -_______-' and i learned how to plumb the toilet after few days settling in china. ever since then i learned my lesson.

and yet this is not the hardest  thing, the most annoying thing happen to me in china when I work in housekeeping department for 2 months. When the time i start to clean the hotel room and to clean the bin inside the toilet..it made me sick.. and i start to wonder how do all these housekeepers manage to do all these dirty work!? 

well..i guess its all part of the  learning experience..somehow..

No comments:

Post a Comment